Hello there!

Hello there!

Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving

Yeah I took a week and a half off. It's not like you all are paying for a subscription. :P

A lot of times, when I'm sitting in the dialysis chair and my calves are cramping or I'm dry heaving, I can't imagine there is a whole lot that I have to be thankful for. But when the season comes around and I really start to think about it, I realize that I have plenty of reasons not to be sullen and "grinch-y." I have a very loving family: my dad George; my mom Jan; my sister Sarah; and the only person I allow to hit me and walk away, my 2-year old niece, Mia. I also have great friends who would do anything for me and they are far too numerous to name but you know who are, and yeah, I'll name you anyway: Justin, Jeremy, Johnny, Kelly, James, Mindy, Laura, and there are more and I'm not just saying that to make myself look popular. I am thankful everyday for yall, I wouldn't be where I am without any of my family or friends.

The newest name on that list has done a lot this year to end up in the esteemed company she finds herself in, honest and true men every one of them. Even Mindy.  My friend Laura from the great Commonwealth of Virginia has done a lot for me in the short time I've known her. One thing I'm very grateful for, she's thrown some work my way that I can do from home since I have transportation constraints. Greater even than the chance to earn some money, she stepped forward to be tested to be an organ donor for me. Sadly, my antibodies are throwing a party that they are letting very few people into. It's like most parties when I was in college. When her blood cells and mine got together it wasn't a pretty sight. When you've already had one transplant, you have the first donor's antibodies as well. So my antibodies and Jeremy's got together and put a hefty beat down on Laura's blood cells. It's one reason it's so hard to match repeat recipients. But, undeterred, she entered into the Paired Organ Donation program with me and her donation of a kidney to someone else will enable me to get a kidney a lot faster than the traditional way would have. I've mentioned the program before and I have links up to the hospital's website. Links, like this one: http://www.texastransplant.org/kidney/kidney_incompatible.html 

That act means so much to me, more so than I'll be able to capture in this blog. First of all, for the second time I'm having someone step up and offer up a part of themselves to me, so that I can live a normal life. Most people don't get to have one living donor, I'm gonna have two. That just doesn't seem fair to me. I don't really feel I'm worthy of that kind of sacrifice. I didn't feel I was the first time with Jeremy and I certainly feel even less worthy my second time in this rodeo. I am amazed any time someone offers to be a donor. Not that it happens to me a lot, I'm just saying that simply the offer floors me and renders me speechless. To actually go through the process the way Laura has, and do it so enthusiastically, makes me want to be a better human being because I'm clearly not living up to the standard that she is setting.

It's important, especially when you are in a situation like I am, to find things to be thankful for--all year, not just the last month or so. Not only because it's not a good idea to go through life ungrateful, it can be unhealthy, but it's also good to appreciate what you have because there are others out there with so little and they are so happy with their lives. That's another gift Laura has given to me. With the promise of a new kidney, she has given me something very special to be thankful for and with that gift comes an opportunity. An opportunity that I squandered before. To not take life for granted like I did last time and to live up to the high standards that she and Jeremy have set for all of us as people. I wish all of you a belated Happy Thanksgiving, and as always wish you good health and great love.


2 comments:

candysroom said...

Mi kidney es su kidney, buddy. I hope they find a match soon that can kick yours and Jeremy's collective antibodies' butts.

And stop with the unworthy talk... I'm thankful to call you my friend. :)

Juicestain said...

nice. . .

make the effort everyday, your on the right track. . .

we all want you at Mia's graduation. . .