Hello there!

Hello there!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

"The Got Stuck Podcast" Coming Summer of 2015 (Title almost certainly destined to change)

   So keeping busy seems to be a popular form of advice I get to stave off boredom or depression or any other of the non-physical maladies that can get ya when you're unable to work, lack the resources to move about on your own except in a very limited sphere and have anywhere from 16-24 hours to kill a day, depending on dialysis schedule and sleep patterns. So I've been wracking the noodle trying to figure out what I can do inside this "fortress of solitude" to while away the hours until...well, hell, I don't know what I'm wasting time til. Anyway, I've tried all manner of things from watching tv, to watching movies, to watching my Twitter feed refresh. I'm quite the watcher but I think I've got that particular skill nearly perfected. If it was what was needed to take down the bad guys in any of the Taken movies I could have given Liam Neeson a movie off and done pretty well for myself. But I digest...

   I've started reading again. Got myself into a couple different books at the moment but I've got the attention span of a 2 year old so I can only sit and read a book for so long. It doesn't matter that the stories are great. At some point something shiny gets my attention in the form of a passing thought and off I go onto search for something else. Another hobby/time waster I've been into for years now has been podcasts. If you are unfamiliar, a podcast is essentially a radio show released independently on the internet with very few, if any, restrictions on content. I listen to quite a few and they go a very long way to helping me pass the time whether it's in the dialysis chair, going for my short-lived jaunts about downtown Schertz for that "fresh air" everyone raves about, or just sitting around the house when there's nothing on tv and I don't feel like falling down the rabbit hole that is Netflix. 

   After years of listening to the likes of Kevin Smith, Chris Hardwick, Jay Mohr, Marc Maron and pretty much anyone employed by National Public Radio I have decided that producing, hosting and distributing my own podcast sounds like a lot of fun and a hell of a way to kill some time. So for the past couple weeks since I've made that decision I've done the requisite research into gear and software, etc. I've also given a lot of thought to a theme or through line for my podcast. Something that guides my conversation with the audience each time I "go on the air". I suppose I could make it a spin off of this blog and have it be about my experiences as a dialysis patient and anxious needer of a transplant. But it would be a very loose framework. While intellectually I know that since I literally don't do anything but go to dialysis and kill time until I have to go back to dialysis, that that is really all there is to me, but emotionally I like to believe that there is more to me than that. Even if I can't prove it, not even to myself. (Maybe that is part of what this podcast venture is about,)

   Anyway, that is my assignment for myself over this coming summer. I am going to be piecing the gear and software I need together and hopefully my August I will be posting regular shows to this website or another I may create. If any of you creative types have any ideas on the direction or make up of the podcast (i.e. title, content) or maybe you have something way more interesting to talk about than my dumb shit and want to come over and talk about it for the whole internet to hear I would love to hear from ya. Either leave a comment below or find me on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.  Til next time, (God only knows when that will be,) Ciao!

Facebook: http://facebook.com/jtully1

Twitter: @UncleJJ78

Instagram: @Jastul78

No comments: